I have a huge "S"!

Over the holidays I spent some time making steel monograms for the family for Xmas and ended up fooling around with some new finishes. The monograms came out great and were a fun, quick project but by no means fine art. I was surprised how much I liked them. They were simple and quaint, but mostly they were very sentimental to me as I kept imagining them hanging on the walls of family members. This got me thinking that Sabrina and I should have one too and I decided to make a really big one, for fun. Maybe to put outside. I had recently produced a homemade batch of cupric chloride to dilute and use as a rusting agent and was keen to try this out as well. While this piece really doesn't have a place in my latest collection I am really enamored with it. I was fun and simple to make and i just love it. Finished, with some great rust. This piece measures four feet tall by 38" wide and is 4" deep.

Here are some pics of my big "S".

IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG

Studio update, What's Trav up to?

After spending December making gifts for the family I am back in the studio to tie up some loose ends and finish a few pieces in progress. I am working on around five new pieces right now and am experimenting with a new finish that is a bit different for me but intriguing. Following are a few pics of the piece in process. As usual, there were more than a few "oh hey! It looks great just like that!" moments, but I managed to forge on with my original plans and ended up with a new finish showcasing a lot more color than we are used to seeing in my pieces. Enjoy!

notafish2steel.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG

Again, a bit more color than we're used to from me but I am just fascinated with this finish. Viewed in person, one can see there is quite a lot going on here in terms of depth and layering. It's almost reminiscent of linen in it's texture as I have built up multiple layers of medium to achieve this look and feel.

What's new in the studio.....

 Stage one of a recent piece that really came together quickly. 16 ga hot rolled sheet sheared and formed into channel.

Stage one of a recent piece that really came together quickly. 16 ga hot rolled sheet sheared and formed into channel.

 Arranged to my liking....

Arranged to my liking....

 A bit of welding....

A bit of welding....

 Add some dimension and voila! All that remains is to add some rust, brush certain elements, rust the whole thing, coat with a red stain, remove all the red stain and most of the rust, let it sit for two weeks while unauthorized rust engulfs the whole piece and then I sand both the rust and previously sanded bits and seal in clear coat. simple.

Add some dimension and voila! All that remains is to add some rust, brush certain elements, rust the whole thing, coat with a red stain, remove all the red stain and most of the rust, let it sit for two weeks while unauthorized rust engulfs the whole piece and then I sand both the rust and previously sanded bits and seal in clear coat. simple.